Another month has come and gone and that means it's time for another episode of....Mystery Dish!
Have you guys been tagging along? We've had a lot of great ingredients to work with, and this month was no different. Our host was Jen of Yummy Healthy Easy, and she chose: garbanzo beans, eggs, flaxseed, cilantro, potatoes, bread, quinoa, lime, popcorn, dark chocolate, ground turkey, and asparagus. But all my eyes saw was CHOCOLATE.
When given the option, it's really hard for me to pick something else guys. I just can't do it. I am a die hard chocoholic. And they will never make me go to rehab.
Can you guess what the second ingredient I picked was though? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the eggs. Well, I did use eggs coincidentally, but that wasn't what I chose to work with. I chose....drumroll please....garbanzo beans!
Yup. Did you know that when garbanzo beans are blended together with eggs, sugar, chocolate and a little baking powder, they make a fantabulous chocolate cake? That's also gluten-free! Well, NOW you know.
This cake is the bomb-diggity. It smells and tastes just like brownies, and it's texture is phenomenal; tender and fudgy, but not super dense, and it literally melts in your mouth. And the best part about it is that nobody will even realize it's made out of chickpeas, which by the way, basically makes it health food. Right?
Easy Flourless Chocolate CakeYield: One 9-inch round cake
Ingredients:1 and 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
One 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
4 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
confectioners sugar, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch round baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, then line with wax paper, and spray again. Set aside.
Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave. Set aside.
Add garbanzo beans and eggs to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and well-combined. Add sugar and baking powder and process until incorporated. Pour in melted chocolate and process until well-blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Then, invert onto serving plate and dust with confectioners sugar before serving.
Check out what the rest of the Mystery Dish gals whipped up this month!
1. Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake by Culinary Couture
2. Pineapple Cashew Quinoa "Fried Rice" by Blahnik Baker
3. Chili Lime Popcorn by The Pajama Chef
4. Cilantro Lime Hummus by The Weary Chef
5. Gluten Free White Bean Brownies by Yummy Healthy Easy
6. Homemade Popcorn with Cilantro Lime Butter by The Well Floured Kitchen
7. Tex-Mex Chickpea Salad by Joyful Healthy Eats
8. Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Tomato by Chez Catey Lou
9. Key Lime Pie Popcorn by I Dig Pinterest
10. Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole by I Want Crazy
11. Frozen Pineapple Cilantro Mojito by Baking a Moment
12. Pretzel Caramel Crunch by The Dessert Chronicles